Abby Kitty's Blog

Just another Edublogs site

Sound blog post

on December 13, 2022

Hi, It’s Abbykitty here and in this blog post, I’ll be talking about…..SOUND!!!!! I will also talk about some of my sound experiments that we are doing in science and vibrations.

What is sound?

Sound is caused by vibrations. Sound travels in sound waves and into our ears. Sound can be reflected off objects, and can be absorbed and modified. To keep your ears safe turn down the volume on TVs and iPods.

What are the 4 properties of sound?

The four properties of sound are that sound can be reflected, absorbed, and modified and that it is caused by vibrations.

How does sound travel?

Sound travels in sound waves. Sound is a type of energy that we can hear. The stronger the vibration is the louder the sound is. The closer you are the louder the sound is. We did an experiment With tuning forks. We had a yogurt cup and put plastic wrap on top of the yogurt cup and then we put salt on top then we did one tap with the tuning fork and the salt vibrated and with multiple taps, it vibrated even more. After the salt one, we did the water one. We took a yogurt cup and put it in water, then we taped it and put it in the water.

Here is a video

What are vibrations?

Thins that are vibrations always move back and forth or up and down. Vibrations are caused by sound. For science, we made a kazoo with a cardboard tube, tissue paper, and an elastic band. We put the tissue paper on the tube and used the elastic band to hold the tissue paper.

The human ear

Here is a video.

I made my ear With cardboard, hot glue, and plasticine.  I used templates and cut them out and traced them on cardboard. I cut out the cardboard and hot glued the together. After that, I used plasticine to make the eardrum, hammer, anvil, stirrup, and cochlea.

What is pitch?

How high or how low the sound is, is pitch. Flutes make a high pitch while tubas make low pitch sounds. Pitch is measured in ” Hertz” (Hz) People can only hear Hz between 20 Hz and 20 000 Hz. Dogs, Cats, Dolphins, and Bats can hear higher frequencies than humans. Bats and Dolphins Use echolocation to communicate. These noises are high-pitched.